A dog attack can be traumatic and terrifying. If the canine that attacked you was a larger breed like a Rottweiler or Doberman Pinscher, you may suffer serious injuries. Even smaller dogs are capable of damaging soft tissue and causing infections.
As a result, it is in your best interests to follow the steps below if you suffer a dog bite injury:
- Seek medical attention: Your first concern must be to contact emergency services. Even if the bite appears to be minor, you should still receive medical treatment.
- Identify the dog owner: It is important to your health and to public safety that you identify the dog that bit you in case the animal has rabies.
- Obtain witness information: Look for witnesses in the area. If anyone saw the attack, collect his or her contact information.
- Contact an attorney: After seeking medical attention, you should speak to a lawyer. Wisconsin is a strict liability state when it comes to dog bites. This means the law holds dog owners strictly liable for any injuries their pets cause.
- Follow your doctor's orders: Following the orders of your doctor is vital to your health and your case. Make sure to obtain copies of all medical records related to the bite.
If you are a dog bite victim, you deserve to be compensated for your damages. At Samster, Konkel & Safran, S.C. our experienced and knowledgeable personal injury attorneys are ready to be your voice. For more information on how we can serve you, contact us today.